Education* Master of Arts in History, Winthrop University, Summa Cum Laude, 4.0 GPA.
* Honors Bachelor of Arts in History with minor in Australian Studies, Cum Laude, 3.54 GPA (graduated #1 in Major).
* Masters Certificate in Foodservice Management, Cornell University's School of Hotel Management.
University of Sydney, Australia.
ExperienceMY BACKGROUND - I am originally from Ireland, but have lived in the US for over a decade. I am a military wife with a passion for inspiring students to overcome their academic challenges. I have taught history at both the community college and high school level, tutored students from grades K - graduate school in reading comprehension and writing development, and copy edited everything from private high school entrance essays to doctoral dissertations to technical tax memos. I have been teaching, tutoring, and editing for almost 10 years, including 4 years as a college newspaper editor and 2 years editing for an Estate Attorney.
STUDENTS - My students range from elementary school struggling readers to gifted middle school students working at the college level to high school students attempting their first honors course, and to law school students striving to accomplish their first legal memo. I make learning engaging and fun, though I am a stickler for staying to an organized schedule in order to accomplish our priorities for the lesson, an attribute that also helps impart a sense of discipline in focus and learning to students.
My college students attend American University, Catholic University, George Mason University, Georgetown University, and Northern Virginia Community College among others.
CERTIFICATIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
* Designed and taught a successful SAT program
* M.A. in History. Graduated Summa Cum Laude.
* Graduate Teaching Assistant in History.
* Honors B.A. in history with minors in English and Australian studies.
* Experience with ESE, ESOL, IEPs, and adult education.
* "Florida reading professional development" certified.
* "Learning Focused Strategies" certified.
* 1 year experience in NCLB Supplemental Educational Services tutoring for elementary and middle school students in South Carolina
* One and a half years of high school teaching experience.
* 5 years of experience as a one-on-one college history and literature tutor.
* Six years experience as an editor.
* Scored in 95th-percentile on verbal sections of SAT and GRE.
* Scored in the 99th-percentile on Praxis II: Social Studies Interpretation of Materials.
* Scored in the 94th-percentile on Praxis II: Social Studies Content Knowledge
HobbiesINTERESTS: Hiking, exploring the new locations the military sends my family, reading, Pilates, writing, and gardening.
Writing, Reading Comprehension, Social Studies, World History, American History, Government, Psychology, Current Affairs, Civic Studies, A. P. English III and IV, English, Literature, A. P. European History, A. P. Government, A. P. American History, A. P. World History, Editing Skills, Essay Writing, SAT verbal and writing section. College subjects: America at War, Atlantic World Studies, Australian History, Catholic Church in Western History, Editing Skills, Essay Writing, English 101, English 102, Irish History, Irish Literature, Nationalism Studies, Protestant Reformation, Russian History, The New South, Tudor-Stuart England, U. S. Foreign Relations in the Twentieth Century, American History 101, American History 102, Western Civilization 101, Western Civilization 102, GRE Verbal section. Please inquire for additional course assistance.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.